Friday, August 14, 2009

The Stolen One by Suzanne Crowley


Release Date: Available Now from Greenwillow (Harpercollins)!!

Synopsis:

No one wanted you. But I did.

Kat's true identity is a secret, even from her. All she has ever known are Grace and Anna and their small village. Kat wants more—more than hours spent embroidering finery for wealthy ladies and more than Christian, the gentle young farmer courting her.

But there are wolves outside, Grace warns. Waiting, with their eyes glowing in the dark . . . and Grace has given Kat safety and a home when no one else would.

Then a stranger appears in their cottage, bringing the mystery of Kat's birth with her. In one night, Kat's destiny finds her: She will leave. She will journey to London, and her skill with the needle will attract the notice of the magnificent Queen Elizabeth—and of the wolves of the court. She will discover what Grace would never tell her.

Everything will unravel.


I love historical fiction, especially historical fiction that is set during Elizabethan time. I love the novels of Philippa Gregory and Jean Plaidy, and I believe this book from Suzanne Crowley deserves a spot amongst these greats of the genre.

This book is beautifully written and captured me from the very first page. Kat is an incredibly vivid character and the book is written in such a way that you really get inside her head and live the events right along with her. As Kat gets swept up in life in Elizabeth's court, the reader gets swept up right along with her. It's a magical world and for someone who has Kat's background, it seems to be the answer to all of her prayers.

However, I couldn't help but feel sorry for Anna, whose world is slowly crumbling, while Kat's is ever on the rise. I also really enjoyed reading Grace's diary entries and they really add to Kat's own story. We get to discover the mystery of Kat's parentage as she does.

If you love historical fiction, the Elizabethan era, or just a good story of intrigue and mystery, then I recommend you pick up The Stolen One immediately. It's a truly fantastic read and I hope Crowley returns to the world of historical fiction very soon.

6 comments:

  1. This sounds great. I love the cover, it's so flashy and the colors are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading this book next after The Lost Summer. Glad that you loved it; it makes me excited to read it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, I'm not a big fan of historicals, but I'll keep this title in mind. Thanks for the review! =)

    Pass by my blog if you would like. I'm hosting a middle grade book challenge. Maybe you would be interested in joining. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carrie,
    I wanted to thank you for following my family's new site
    www.thelateinergangbookreviewspot.blogspot.com
    mouthful! so we go by T.L.G.B.R.S. for short...anyway not to take your space up, i couldnt find your email., granted i was away all day and am just checking emails etc for a few minutes..I wanted to know if you could put us up on your side bar as we are going to be holding so many more contests that we have a lot of ARC's already including "fire" by kristin cashore, The demon Kind By cinda williams Chima, lets see...diamond of the darkhold from Jeanne Duprau. Most are signed and most have agreed to an interview as well. I am now following you too! The 2 up there Maze Runner by dashner and Alvor by Bingham are both great books! thanks again for following us and if you could help us out being fairly new but putting us somewhere on your site, we would appreciate it sooo much! if you already did, i apologize, again, i have not been around much today.
    thanks
    Dave
    Dad of The Lateiner Gang

    ReplyDelete
  5. also just added you to my sidebar thanks again!
    Dave
    www.thelateinergangbookreviewspot.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a really good book! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete