Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Skeleton Creek by Patrick Carman


Release Date: Available Now from Scholatic!!!!

Synopsis:

Strange things are happening in Skeleton Creek. . . and Ryan and Sarah are trying to find out why. Ryan writes down everything in his journal, and Sarah records everything on her videocam. The two move deeper into the mystery they've uncovered, determined to discover the secrets buried in Skeleton Creek.

I know I'm starting to sound like some kind of Patrick Carman fangirl, but....well, I am. He has yet to disappoint me with a book and I don't think it's going to happen any time soon. Skeleton Creek is considered a middle grade book, but I think older folks would like it too.

It combines a classic "journal" style, which is Ryan's side of the events, with videos accessible on the internet, which is Sarah's side of the story. I've never read anything that combined multimedia with print so well. You can, of course, read the story without watching the videos, but you really do miss something. You not only miss some story elements, but you also miss some truly creepy footage, which I will admit made me jump a time or two.

This is a great mystery with supernatural elements. It's just a really wonderful and addictive piece of storytelling. The tale of Skeleton Creek and Ryan and Sarah, will conclude with the second book, Ghost in the Machine that comes out in October. I absolutely cannot wait for the sequel, and I will read it as soon as it hits my hot little hands.

Thank you Mr. Carman for yet another amazing read. I can't wait to see what you have in store for us next.

6 comments:

  1. I like the idea of watching part of the story on the internet. That is really unusual. Definitely one for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds interesting. It looks edgy/creepy. Great review :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey!! They book your currently reading looks relly really good - I can't wait to read your review!!

    AND I've given you an award! :)

    http://bookwormbarista.blogspot.com/2009/08/passing-on-lurve.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I missed visiting your blog when my computer was down! I am really getting into YA novels like never before and I always find something great here. I have heard about Skeleton Creek, of course the interactive part is the only thing worrying me. I will have to wait until I am more technologically capable before I can pick it up. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought Skeleton Creek was a well done combination of video and writen word. Great, exciting story- looking forward to the next!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this book and I love Patrick Carman :) I can not wait for the sequel :)

    ReplyDelete