Sunday, August 30, 2009

Never Slow Dance With a Zombie by E. Van Lowe


Release Date: Available Now from Tor Teen!!!

Synopsis:

Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion meets Night of the Living Dead in this laugh-out-loud debut YA novel by Emmy Award-nominated TV writer E. Van Lowe

Principal Taft's 3 Simple Rules for Surviving a Zombie Uprising:

Rule #1: While in the halls, walk slowly and wear a vacant expression on your face. Zombies won't attack other zombies.

Rule #2: Never travel alone. Move in packs. Follow the crowd. Zombies detest blatant displays of individuality.

Rule #3: If a zombie should attack, do not run. Instead, throw raw steak at to him. Zombies love raw meat. This display of kindness will go a long way.

On the night of her middle school graduation, Margot Jean Johnson wrote a high school manifesto detailing her goals for what she was sure would be a most excellent high school career. She and her best friend, Sybil, would be popular and, most important, have boyfriends. Three years later, they haven't accomplished a thing!

Then Margot and Sybil arrive at school one day to find that most of the student body has been turned into flesh-eating zombies. When kooky Principal Taft asks the girls to coexist with the zombies until the end of the semester, they realize that this is the perfect opportunity to live out their high school dreams. All they have to do is stay alive....


As a lover of all things zombie, there's no way that I could resist this tale of two high school wannabes who get they're chance to rule the school thanks to a zombie apocalypse. I was not the most popular girl in school, not by a long shot, and at times I myself dreamt of a zombie apocalypse that would rid me of all the creeps at school. With this book, I got the perfect look at "be careful what you wish for."

Margot and Sybil are great characters whose friendship is truly tested just as all their dreams are coming true. I see a lot of myself and my friend (also named Cari) in these characters. Our high school career, although not this exciting, was full of many of the same struggles that these girls face.

This is just a really fun read. It's loony and off-the-wall, but just a great quick zombie-filled read. I would love to see more of Margot and Sybil in the future. Perhaps they could be battling collegiate zombies this time?

I recommend this book to anyone who loves the undead or just a fun read. Not to mention, E. Van Lowe is a really cool and super nice guy.

Come back tomorrow for more zombie fun. I'll be talking about a favorite zombie movie of mine, plus my thoughts on H2, which I saw yesterday. Then Tuesday, I'll be starting a new contest, which although not zombie related is pretty freakin' awesome.

6 comments:

  1. I love zombies! Great review and I definitely have to read this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun read! Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad you liked this one too. loved the wackiness ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome review. I know what it's like to be the unpopular kid too! I like how you related to this book, it makes me want to definately read it as well, since books which connect are fantastic :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your review. I wasn't really into this book but now guess what? I want to read it so badly.

    ReplyDelete