Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Soulstice by Simon Holt (The Devouring Book 2)

Release Date: Available Now from Little Brown, Book for Young Readers




Source: From Publisher



Synopsis:

The terrifying, nail-biting, and grossly intriguing sequel toThe Devouring.It's been six months since Reggie first discovered and fought against the Vours, malicious and demonic beings that inhabit human bodies on the eve of the Winter Solstice.

The Vours still haunt Reggie, but only in her dreams-until one night, when an unexpected visitor turns her nightmares into reality.

The battle against evil continues in Soulstice, the second book in the thrilling The Devouring series, which School Library Journal called, "Comparable to books by R. L. Stine and Stephen King....A must-have for horror fans."

I thought it was only fitting to review this book today, seeing as December 22nd is in fact Sorry Night. Sorry Night is that most horrible and fearful night when the Vours can take over human hosts and spread their fear throughout the land. These Vours are pretty badass and I have to tell you, I'll think twice before wandering around tonight.

I really liked The Devouring. I think it's one of the best horror novels, definitely the best YA horror novel, that I've read in a long time. Soulstice is just as good, if not better. Reggie is back, along with her little brother Henry, and her best friend Aaron. She also has some new and quite disturbing friends, too.

It's hard not to be a spoilerish here considering this is book two, so I'll just tell you what I like about this series. It's scary, and not just a little scary, but stay with you for a few days scary. I have to tell you, some of the imagery stayed with me after I turned off my lights at night. I think the Vours are some of the best villains out there. There's nothing scarier than the thought of something taking over your body and controlling your every move. It's Exorcist freaky.

I also like Reggie who is I think a completely ass-kicking heroine. She will literally go to any heights or sink to any depths to save the people she loves. And she does a damn fine job of it.

So, if you are looking for a good way to spend Sorry Night, or you just want a good scare, go read The Devouring and then immediately pick up Soulstice. The way book 2 ended, I'm really hoping that Holt has a third book on the way. If so, I will be eagerly awaiting its arrival.

Have a very scary Christmas!!

1 comment:

  1. I actually finished The Devouring today! Love it! And gosh, it creeped me out last night! But a great read nonetheless, just in time for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete