Sunday, December 6, 2009

The Devouring by Simon Holt


Release Date: Available Now from Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

Synopsis:

When Reggie finds an old journal and reads about the Vours, supernatural creatures who feast on fear and attack on the eve of the winter solstice, she assumes they are just the musings of some lunatic author. But soon, they become a terrifying reality when she begins to suspect that her timid younger brother might be one of their victims.

Risking her life and her sanity, Reggie enters a living nightmare to save the people she loves. Can she devour own her fears before they devour her?

Bone-chilling, terrifying, thrilling...what are you waiting for?


Why did I wait so long to read this book? I think it might be one of the best YA horror novels ever. It's truly creepy and disturbing, not to mention it is still staying with me over a week after I've read it, which is unusual for me.

Reggie is a fantastic character and the reader is immediately brought into her world. We feel everything she feels, which at times is a wee bit scary. I also loved Aaron, I mean, who doesn't need a friend like that. As someone who is a big fan of horror movies, the idea that some of those fictitious ideas might just come to life is pretty crazy.

This was a truly terrifying read, and I loved every minute of it. It moved at a fast and furious pace that kept me reading into the wee small hours of the morning. I have to warn you that there are some really disturbing scenes and the book is at times quite graphic, but for horror fans, this is certainly a must read.

3 comments:

  1. I've heard over and over how scary this one is. I'm gonna have to read it! I love a good scare :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have sold it to me. This sounds fabulous and I do like a scary read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finished this book recently, shivering in fear at midnight. Completely agree about this possibly being one of the best YA horror books out.

    ReplyDelete