Wednesday, December 9, 2009

I Can't Keep My Own Secrets by Teens Famous & Obscure


Release Date: Available Now from HarperTEEN

Source: From Publisher

Synopsis:

One life. Six words. What's yours?

True tales of love, loss, good friends, and bad hair days filled Not Quite What I Was Planning, the New York Times bestselling first book in the Six-Word Memoir series—and an international phenomenon. Some of the most compelling were by teens, so now SMITH Magazine has compiled a book written entirely by these bold, brash truth-tellers. From cancer to creativity, prom dates to promiscuity, and breaking hearts to breaking laws, the memoirs in this collection reveal that often the youngest writers have the most fascinating stories to tell.

Met online; love before first sight.

Hair's pink to piss you off.

I fulfilled my awkwardness quota today.

I'm seventeen, engaged, and not pregnant.

My mom had my boyfriend deported.

Late for school every single day.

According to Facebook, we broke up.


This book has such an awesome idea behind it, how could I not love it. Each and every entry is interesting and unique in its own way. I found myself instantly mesmerized by these sic-word glimpses into the lives of teens from all walks of life.

Then of course, I was inspired to come up with my own memoirs.

I'd much rather be at Disneyworld.
Blogging has taken over my life.
I finally found my perfect job.
I totally don't feel this old.

That's just a few. I could go on and on, and it's more challenging than you think to hit that sic-word mark. If you're looking for a quick, interesting, and at times, really moving read, then look no further. Check it out, and start righting your own memoir.

1 comment:

  1. Nice review. I really want to read this! It's nominated for the CYBILS in the MG/YA category. Can't seem to get my hands on a copy here in London. It's been in processing at my library for weeks now and the local bookstore isn't carrying it. I put it on my Christmas list, hoping someone home in Toronto will have better luck!

    ReplyDelete