Sunday, March 29, 2009

Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

Here is the blurbage courtesy of bn.com:

"Dead girl walking," the boys say in the halls.

"Tell us your secret," the girls whisper, one toilet to another.

I am that girl.

I am the space between my thighs, daylight shining through.

I am the bones they want, wired on a porcelain frame.


Lia and Cassie are best friends, wintergirls frozen in matchstick bodies, competitors in a deadly contest to see who can be the skinniest. But what comes after size zero and size double-zero? When Cassie succumbs to the demons within, Lia feels she is being haunted by her friend's restless spirit.In her most emotionally wrenching, lyrically written book since the multiple-award-winning Speak, Laurie Halse Anderson explores Lia's descent into the powerful vortex of anorexia, and her painful path toward recovery.


Amazing, I know, right? This is the second book I've read by Anderson in the last six months, the other one was Chains. There couldn't be two more different books about two vastly different subjects, and yet they both shook me to my core. She writes in such a clear and lyrical way which gives her main characters a very true and powerful voice.


Lia is an incredibly sympathetic character and yet at times she made me so angry I just wanted to shake her. There are some truly disturbing moments in this book, but it never feels overdone or over dramatic. It just sucks you in from the first line, "so she tells me, the words dribbling out with the cranberry muffin crumbs, commas dunked in her coffee" (in case you were wondering) and keeps you enthralled until the last page, last word, last period.


I will keep showing up for Anderson's books as long as she keeps writing them and no matter the subject matter, I will enjoy the ride. By the way, I am waiting breathlessly for the sequel to Chains, which I believe is called Forge. Can't wait!!!

For another view on Wintergirls check out Aerin's review at

5 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read this. It's in my TBR pile. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Carrie - Weekly Geeks is encouraging us to share reviews - will you add the link to my review in your post, and I'll add yours? (And if you don't want to, no worries)

    http://www.insearchofgiants.com/2009/03/wintergirls-by-laurie-halse-anderson.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problem Aerin, I added it. By the way, can you possible tell me how to do embedded links. I feel so technologically challenged but I can't figure it out. You can e-mail me if you want poptart675@att.net

    Thanks and thanks for linking my review!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never mind Aerin I figured out the embedded link thing finally.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also just finished it. Very, very powerful. Sort of book that stays with you for a long time. Such insight.

    ReplyDelete