Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Waiting on Wednesday (6)

Here are two books I'm really, really looking forward to reading. They both deal with eating disorders and they both look great.
First up, Purge by Sarah Littman. Here's the description:




Janie Ryman hates throwing up. So why does she binge eat and then stick her fingers down her throat several times a day? That’s what the doctors and psychiatrists at Golden Slopes hope to help her discover. But first Janie must survive everyday conflicts between the Barfers and the Starvers, attempts by the head psychiatrist to fish painful memories out of her emotional waters, and shifting friendships and alliances among the kids in the ward.




And second, Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson. Here's the description for this one:




"Dead girl walking," the boys say in the halls."Tell us your secret," the girls whisper, one toilet to another.I am that girl.I am the space between my thighs, daylight shining through.I am the bones they want, wired on a porcelain frame.Lia and Cassie are best friends, wintergirls frozen in matchstick bodies, competitors in a deadly contest to see who can be the skinniest.

But what comes after size zero and size double-zero? When Cassie succumbs to the demons within, Lia feels she is being haunted by her friend's restless spirit.In her most emotionally wrenching, lyrically written book since the multiple-award-winning Speak, Laurie Halse Anderson explores Lia's descent into the powerful vortex of anorexia, and her painful path toward recovery.



Don't these look awesome? It seems like everyone has already read Wintergirls, but here I sit patiently awaiting the release date. Can't wait to get my hands on these two.

Waiting on Wednesday was created by Jill over at http://breakingthespine.blogspot.com/


3 comments:

  1. Wow. Both aren't really my type of reading material, but Wintergirls sounds amazing. And intense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Speak, so I will definitely have to check out Wintergirls. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read Wintergirls this week and was very impressed by it.

    ReplyDelete