Saturday, March 28, 2009

Graceling by Kristin Cashore

Well, here I am finally back from the brink of, hmmm, well not death, but let me tell you it almost felt like it when I was in the full throes of stomach flu hell. So, I'm trying to get back into the swing of things, which means lots of homework to do and a couple reviews to post.

Here's the first one for the wonderful Graceling, which I loved, loved, loved like the crazy fangirl I am. Here's the description for anyone not familiar with the story.

Katsa has been able to kill a man with her bare hands since she was eight—she’s a Graceling, one of the rare people in her land born with an extreme skill. As niece of the king, she should be able to live a life of privilege, but Graced as she is with killing, she is forced to work as the king’s thug. She never expects to fall in love with beautiful Prince Po. She never expects to learn the truth behind her Grace—or the terrible secret that lies hidden far away . . . a secret that could destroy all seven kingdoms with words alone. With elegant, evocative prose and a cast of unforgettable characters, debut author Kristin Cashore creates a mesmerizing world, a death-defying adventure, and a heart-racing romance that will consume you, hold you captive, and leave you wanting more.


What can I say other than WOW or perhaps WOWZA or some variation upon that theme. I thought this book was beautifully written, action-packed and with a believable love story that really made you cheer for the couple. And is Po like the perfect man or what? Where can I get myself a Po?


I can't wait to read more of Cashore's amazingly lyrical writing. She truly swept me away to another world that I was disappointed to have to leave. I know that she's writing a second book called Fire that takes place in the same world, but I don't believe it's a sequel to this story. I can't wait to get my hands on it though. Definitely recommended!!


I'll probably post my review of Wintergirls tomorrow if I get all my homework done, if not then Monday. Also my contest is still going on. It ends March 31st so enter to win 3 cool books.

11 comments:

  1. Wow I haven't read this book but I already love it. There are a lot of good reviews about it.
    I hope I'll buy it soon cause it has just been released here in Spain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review, it sounds brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great review for a great book. love this book. one of my faves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one sounds so good. I wanna read it and the sequel too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVED this book! I totally can't wait until Fire is released!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, Carrie, I was going through your sidebar - have you already READ 209 books in 2009????

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aerin, I haven't read 209 books yet, that was my goal, but I'm beginning to think that it's not going to happen. I'll keep going though and try. I might have to start reading more graphic novels and picture books to reach my goal.(ha, ha)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just got this one... I am going to read it soon. So many people love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds really good. I might have to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wowza!! lol I definitely can't wait to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. agreed and can't wait for fire!

    ReplyDelete