Friday, November 27, 2009

Lunch Lady and the Cyborg Substitute by Jarrett Krosoczka


Release Date: Available Now from Knopf

Source: Personal Copy

Synopsis:

Serving justice . . . and lunch!

Hector, Terrence, and Dee have always wondered about their school lunch lady. What does she do when she isn’t dishing out the daily special? Where does she live? Does she have a lot of cats at home? Little do they know, Lunch Lady doesn’t just serve sloppy joes—she serves justice! Whatever danger lies ahead, it’s no match for LUNCH LADY!


It's no secret that kids love graphic novels. It's an area of publishing that is just going to continue to grow and grow. With the success of series like Wimpy Kid and Babymouse, we are going to start to see more and more new graphic titles. Some of them will be good and some bad. This certainly falls on the good side.

It took me about 15 minutes to read this book and I loved every minute of it. The illustrations are vibrant using nothing more than black, gray, white, and yellow. The action jumps of the page and hooks you from page one. When the book starts you immediately get a taste of what the Lunch Lady does best and it only wets your appetite to find out more.

Krosoczka knows kids books. He's the author of some of my favorites including the picture books, Punk Farm and Baghead. His talent is on full display here. The book is chock full of humor and made me laugh out loud more than once. There's tons of school humor that will appeal to both kids and adults, too. Instead of making fun of lunch ladies, Krosoczka has made them heroes, which I love. If you are looking for a new graphic series to get kids hooked on reading then look no further than Lunch Lady and the Cyborg Substitute. I'll be donating the copies I bought to my school library and I can't wait to hear what the kids think of them.


1 comment:

  1. I've shared these with my 7th graders. They seemed really interested in them. I'll need to pick up at least one to see what they really think. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete