Thursday, November 5, 2009

Karma for Beginners by Jessica Blank


Release Date: Available Now from Hyperion!!

Synopsis:

Fourteen-year-old Tessa has never had a normal life. Her mother, a frustrated hippie with awful taste in men, has seen to that. But when her mom pulls her out of school to live at an ashram in the Catskills, Tessa goes from being a freak among normal people to being an outcast among freaks. Freaks who worship an orange robe-wearing guru. And while her mom is buzzing with spiritual energy, and finding a little too much favor with the guru, all Tessa feels are weird vibes.

Unless she's with Colin, the gorgeous boy who fixes trucks for the ashram. The connection they share is the most spiritual thing Tessa has ever felt. But he's older-like illegally older-and Tessa's taking dangerous risks to spend time with him. Soon her life is blooming into a psychedelic web of secrets and lies and it's clear that something's about to give way. When it does, will she have anyone to hold on to? Will she even know herself?


Revelations abound in this mind-altering novel from the acclaimed author of Almost Home.


I've read some mixed reviews about this book, but I really liked it. I thought it was a compelling and thought-provoking read and once I started it, I couldn't put it down. Tessa is a wonderful character who is caught up in her mother's constant quest for something that will make her happy.

When she gets dragged to the ashram, Tessa feels completely lost and like an outsider, but once she meets Colin, she starts to feel like she has a place where she truly belongs. But just when Tessa starts to find happiness, things once again fall apart.

The setting of the ashram was fascinating to me, but creepy at the same time. The guru is a character that I won't soon forget. This book made me think of the book and movie Mermaids for some reason. Maybe it's the mother-daughter dynamic, but I couldn't help but reflect on that story while reading this one.

This was a great read. I picked it up when I was in a bit of a reading slump and it really brought me back around. It's got a lot of heart, is well-written, and it's full of memorable characters. What more could I ask for?!

1 comment:

  1. I heard a few interesting things about this book. I want to try it. And its cover is so cuteeeeeeee.

    ReplyDelete