Friday, April 17, 2009

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr


Synopsis:

Rule #3: Don't stare at invisible faeries.

Aislinn has always seen faeries. Powerful and dangerous, they walk hidden in mortal world. Aislinn fears their cruelty—especially if they learn of her Sight—and wishes she were as blind to their presence as other teens.

Rule #2: Don't speak to invisible faeries.

Now faeries are stalking her. One of them, Keenan, who is equal parts terrifying and alluring, is trying to talk to her, asking questions Aislinn is afraid to answer.

Rule #1: Don't ever attract their attention.

But it's too late. Keenan is the Summer King who has sought his queen for nine centuries. Without her, summer itself will perish. He is determined that Aislinn will become the Summer Queen at any cost—regardless of her plans or desires.

Suddenly none of the rules that have kept Aislinn safe are working anymore, and everything is on the line: her freedom; her best friend, Seth; her life; everything.

Faerie intrigue, mortal love, and the clash of ancient rules and modern expectations swirl together in Melissa Marr's stunning 21st century faery tale.


My friend Briana told me to read this, that I would love it, and yet still I put it off. There are just too many books and too little time to read them all. Finally tough, I decided to give in and give Melissa Marr a try. With Fragile Eternity coming out next week, it's time to play catch-up. I'm so glad I decided to jump into Marr's world.

Huntsdale is not inhabited by Disney fairies. These are the dark and lethal brand of fairies that you read about in ancient folktales. The deceitful tricksters who have little regard for mortal concerns. So basically, I love them.

Aislinn, who has until now, successfully hidden her "sight" becomes entangled in the fairies dark and dangerous world. It's a fun ride that will definitely keep you turning the pages well into the night. Marr's writing is so atmospheric that you can feel the cold of Beira, the Winter Queen and the warmth of Keenan, the Summer King. It's easy to fall into the pages of this book and want to hang around awhile.

And the characters are fantastic. Seth is the boy we all want to love, while Keenan is the one we just can't resist. Donia is probably my favorite character, though, she's so tragic and yet strong as she watches the events unfold around her. I would love to read more about her and I look forward to reading Ink Exchange and Fragile Eternity. Melissa Marr is an incredible talent and I'm so glad I decided to give her a try.

13 comments:

  1. I've been avoiding this book just because there seems to be a bit of a craze, but maybe I'll have to go ahead and read it. It does sound good. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister loves these! Great review BTW ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this book! Great review!

    If you had to choose, would you pick Seth or Keenan? I'm a Seth fan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've looked at this at Borders a couple times but never bought it in the end. Maybe I'll give it a try..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this book. I am just now reading Ink Exchange and it is excellent so far.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't you just love Seth? I can't wait for him to have more of a storyline in Fragile Eternity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would definitely choose Seth. I think he's almost too perfect, but he sounds quite yummy. Ink Exchange may be my next read, but there's just so many books in my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this book! I loved that the fairies were not of the Disney variety. :) Ink Exchange was also good, though I liked Wicked Lovely better. I'm anxiously awating Fragile Eternity, which should be out soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this too. I've got Ink Exchange waiting in my TBR pile and I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh sounds really good! its now one my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We love, love, love this book. We actually just reviewed it on our blog. It's definitely altar worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Altar worthy indeed. Ink Exchange is moving up in my pile as we speak.

    ReplyDelete