Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Book Survey!! via Katie's Book Blog

So I saw this on on Katie's Book Blog just now and I thought it looked like fun, so here goes:

Hardback, trade paperback or mass market paperback?
Doesn't really matter to me. I prefer trade paperbacks over mass market, but between hardcover and paperback, I have no preference.

Barnes & Noble or Borders?
It used to be Border's, but they don't seem to have the selection that they used to and the mall store in my town closed down, so now I have to travel 20 miles to visit one. So Barnes & Noble now.

Bookmark or dog-ear?
Definitely bookmark. I never dog-ear unless I'm reading a stripped copy of something. I don't even break the spines on my books if I can help it.

Amazon or brick-and-mortar?
I'd have to say brick-and-mortar just because I like to look at things before I buy it and there's nothing like the smell of a bookstore. I do order from Amazon as well, though.

Alphabetize by author, or alphabetize by title, or random?
Alphabetize?? My books are in stacks on shelves, but in no logical order. It would take a year to organize my books. It needs to be done, but who has the energy. I've worked in a bookstore for 13 years and I've accumulated a ridiculous amount of books in the process. Maybe I should hire someone to go through them.

Keep, throw away, or sell?
I keep most all of my books. I've sold some, but for the most part I keep them.

Keep dust jacket or toss it?
Keep of course, if I don't break spines, I definitely don't throw away covers.

Read with dust jacket or remove it?
Usually I keep the dust jacket on when I read, unless it really starts to annoy me.

Short story or novel?
I choose novel. I'm not a short story fan, but I will occasionally read them if the story is by someone I really like.

Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket?
Harry Potter!!!! I like Lemony Snicket, too, but Harry is definitely my man.

Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks?
I always stop at chapter breaks, or breaks within a chapter. I can't stop in the middle of a paragraph or thought. That would make me crazy.

“It was a dark and stormy night” or “Once upon a time”?
Probably "dark and stormy night," but I love those "open upon a time"'s too.

Buy or borrow?
Unfortunately buy. Buy, buy, buy.

Buying choice: book reviews, recommendations, or browse?
Since I've been reading a lot of blogs, I've certainly been buying more books, so I am influenced by what you guys have to say. I've also changed my mind on buying some books after reading reviews.

Tidy ending or cliffhanger?
I don't mind a cliffhanger, although it is painful sometimes. I makes me want to keep reading.

Morning reading, afternoon reading, or nighttime reading?
I'm more of a nighttime reader; right before bed, although I read on my lunch breaks a lot too.

Stand-alone or series?
I love a good series, mostly because when I finish a great book, I like to know that the story is going to continue. Stand-alones are wonderful too though.

Favorite series?
There are just too, too many to choose from. Probably Harry Potter, although I love the Oz books, Southern Vampire series, Kim Harrison's Hollow novels, etc, etc. Harry Potter is number 1 though.

Favorite children’s book?
Starring Sally J. Freedman As Herself by Judy Blume. I love this book and I read it about a million time when I was a kid. It still is one of my favorites.

Favorite YA book?
I really loved Paper Towns by John Green, I also loooove Uglies by Scott Westerfeld. So it's between those two.

Favorite book of which nobody else has heard?
Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve. First in an awesome series, which I blogged about last week. It's just really genius.

Favorite books read last year?
Paper Towns, The Hunger Games many, many more.

Favorite books of all time?
Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy
The Color Purple by Alice Walker
Ramona Quimby Age 8 by Beverly Cleary
Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer
Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris

What are you reading right now?
Once Dead, Twice Shy by Kim Harrison

What are you reading next?
I'm not sure yet, maybe Wings by Aprilynne Pike

Favorite book to recommend to an 11-year-old?
The Dark Hills Divide by Patrick Carman

Favorite book to re-read?
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
Ramona Quimby Age 8 by Beverly Cleary

Do you ever smell books?
Of course, and they smell awesome.

Do you ever read primary source documents like letters or diaries?
Not so much, unless someone tells me I have to.

So, what do you think. I'm glad I found this....so thanks Katie for posting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment