Monday, April 27, 2009

Once Dead, Twice Shy by Kim Harrison


Release Date: May 26, 2009
Publisher: HarperTeen

Synopsis:

Madison Avery's junior prom killed her-literally. She doesn't know why a Dark Reaper came after her‚ but that didn't stop her from stealing his amulet‚ which she discovered allows her soul to continue living on in a temporary body. But now she's being babysat by a disgruntled Light Reaper who's supposed to be training her‚ while angels try to figure out what's supposed to happen to her next. But Madison can't stay out of trouble for long‚ so along with her prom date Josh (who is getting cuter by the minute) and her guardian angel Grace‚ Madison takes matters into her own hands-only to discover that she is fated to become one of the most powerful leaders in the realm of the dark and light reapers. Well‚ if she believed in that stuff.

I read this a few weeks ago. I was trying to wait to post my review closer to the release date, but I decided I couldn't wait any longer. I should admit up front that I am a huge Kim Harrison fan. I love her Hollows books which star the kick ass Rachel Morgan. They are fantastic and if you read this one and love it, you should definitely check those out, too.

I loved this book. I pretty much knew ahead of time that I would, but there's always that moment when you worry that one of your favorite adult writers might fall flat with YA. Luckily with Harrison that's not the case.

Madison Avery was introduced in the anthology Prom Nights From Hell and I'd been waiting since then for her first full-length novel. It doesn't disappoint. This is a great new spin on the YA paranormal novel. Who would've thought you could make Reapers cool?!

Madison is a wonderful and interesting character who is stuck in a pretty impossible situation. She's literally caught up in a life and death struggle. She's surrounded by quite an exciting cast of characters that I know I will look forward to visiting again and again.

I know that this is Harrison's departure from the Hollows, but for all of you fans out there, this novel certainly has some of that Hollows spirit that we love so much. It's full of witty dialogue, lots of surprises, and plenty of attitude, all of which adds up to a really fun read. Check this one out, I don't think you'll be disappointed. I for one can't wait for Madison's next adventure.

11 comments:

  1. awesome! i have been waiting to read a review of this! looks as good as imagined!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This definitely seems like one to check out for sure! Awesome review ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. I so want to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really great. I'll have to nick my sister's copy of Prom Nights From Hell first though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This boo sounds amazing. And I love the cover.

    You have a present at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the sound of this book but I should probably read "Prom Nights From Hell" first. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also was a little worried that I wouldn't like it as much as her Hollows books but thoroughly enjoyed it. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also looove the cover. I think it fits the book really well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to read this one! So glad to hear you liked it. I've been wanting to read Prom Nights from Hell too so it's good to know these are connected. Thanks for a great review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never read any of her books but I was really excited for this one. Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. great review, Carrie! I can't wait to read this book!! xD

    ReplyDelete