Thursday, April 23, 2009

Dead is the New Black by Marlene Perez


Synopsis:

Welcome to Nightshade, California—a small town full of secrets. It’s home to the psychic Giordano sisters, who have a way of getting mixed up in mysteries. During their investigations, they run across everything from pom-pom-shaking vampires to shape-shifting boyfriends to a clue-spewing jukebox. With their psychic powers and some sisterly support, they can crack any case!

Teenage girls are being mysteriously attacked all over town, including at Nightshade High School, where Daisy Giordano is a junior. When Daisy discovers that a vampire may be the culprit, she can’t help but suspect head cheerleader Samantha Devereaux, who returned from summer break with a new “look.” Samantha appears a little . . . well, dead, and all the most popular kids at school are copying her style.

Is looking dead just another fashion trend for Samantha, or is there something more sinister going on? To find out, Daisy joins the cheerleading squad.


Oooo...what a fun, cool and quirky series!! This book was such a quick, easy read that I read it in less than a day and that was with work and school included. I loved hanging out with Daisy Giordano and all of the characters that live in Nightshade.

Daisy is a completely likable character whose inner voice is so real you can really relate to her. I would love to spend a day or two in the Giordano household with Daisy, Rose and especially Penny, who is wonderfully snarky (there's not nearly enough snark in the world).

I read a review somewhere which compared this to Veronica Mars and it really did remind me of that great show. It had a healthy dose of mystery, laughs and all-around wacky hi jinks. Did I have the mystery figured out early? Yes, but I still enjoyed every minute of the journey to get there.

Here's what I love about paranormal fiction. There's room for all types of writers within this genre. I love that you can find noir, humor, romance, suspense, horror, etc....there's just such a wide range of styles that falls under this umbrella of "paranormal," and I love them all.

I'm hoping we get the other two books in at work soon, so that I can sneak back into Nightshade for a little while. Yay to Marlene Perez for creating a wonderfully supernatural town that I would love to call home.

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun! I just might have to pick this one up on a day when I need a quick read.. ;)

    I have a question for you: was it you who, a couple weeks ago, commented on my IMM post when I had a coppy of Carrie Vaughn's "Kitty Raises Hell"? Have you read that series? If so, should I start from the first book, or can I just read the book that I have? Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great! I'm going to add it to my to read pile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to check this out. Vampire is not my thing but this one seems cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So going to have to get this if it's like VMars. I love that show!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a fun read :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I read about this somewhere and I liked it but then I didn'r rememeber neither the name of the book or the place where I saw it, so thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just stumbled on your blog a few days ago,and I'm totally hooked. I've been wanting to read this, but was unsure whether it was for me or not. You made it sound great! I'm so glad you did this review. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is a blog award for you at my site. I hope you will accept it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Steph Su, It wasn't me with the Kitty books. I haven't read them. I don't know why since they are right up my alley, but I just haven't gotten around to them yet. Sorry.

    Silvia, Glad I could help you rediscover this title. I really liked it.

    Amelia, Welcome aboard. I'm glad you like what you see. I'm still fairly new to this blogosphere, but I love it and plan to stick around.

    Ashley, Thank you and of course I accept.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this cover! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wasn't really a fan of these, I do love Veronica Mars though hehe man I hate that it was canceled :(

    ReplyDelete