Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Derby Girl/Whip It by Shauna Cross



Available Now!!!

Synopsis:

Meet Bliss Cavendar, a blue haired, indie-rock loving misfit stuck in the tiny town of Bodeen, Texas.

Her pageant-addicted mother expects her to compete for the coveted Miss Blue Bonnet crown, but Bliss would rather feast on roaches than be subjected to such rhinestone tyranny.

Bliss’ escape? Take up Roller Derby.

When she discovers a league in nearby Austin, Bliss embarks on an epic journey full of hilarious tattooed girls, delicious boys in bands, and a few not-so-awesome realities even the most bad-assed derby chick has to learn.


I love this book!! The only thing I might love more than this book, is the movie. Well, actually I always love the book more, but it's a close race. Bliss Cavendar is my hero. She is everything I wish I had been in high school, but so totally wasn't.

I've been a roller derby fan for quite awhile now, so it's great to see a YA book about the sport from someone who actually knows how the game is played. You can tell that Shauna Cross isn't afraid to strap on some skates and get fightin'. One of the things I love most about the derby is that it is so empowering, not just for the women in the skates, but for all those ladies in the stands, too. It's amazing to see smart, tough girls play hard and, sometimes literally, fight to win.

The relationship between Bliss and Pash is so real and was written with complete honesty. This book is all about heart and about having the drive and the courage to follow your own path, or as the movie says, "Be Your Own Hero." It's an incredible message and one that girls everywhere need to hear on a daily basis.

Read the book!! See the movie!! You will love it!!

6 comments:

  1. Carrie~

    I completely agree with you on this book! I just finished reading it and I absolutely loved it and I can hardly wait to see the movie, too. I, too, wish that I could have been even a tiny bit like Bliss when I was in high school.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I totally want to see this movie--I love Ellen Page! The book sounds awesome, as well. Now I REALLY need to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds amazing! I bought the book last week and can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic review :) I can't wait to see this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw the movie on Tuesday and it was so good! I'm on the wait list for the book at the library can't wait to read it though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just watched the movie and noticed during the credits that it was based on a book. I LOVED the movie and now I want to read the book, I CANT'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete