Sunday, September 20, 2009

City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau


Synopsis:

The city of Ember was built as a last refuge for the human race. Two hundred years later, the great lamps that light the city are beginning to flicker. When Lina finds part of an ancient message, she’s sure it holds a secret that will save the city. She and her friend Doon must decipher the message before the lights go out on Ember forever! This stunning debut novel offers refreshingly clear writing and fascinating, original characters.

I watched this movie a couple of weeks ago and it made me think, "I know the book has to be better than this." It's not that it was a bad movie, it just felt disjointed and rushed. So, I checked the book out of my school library and gave it a read. I loved it!!

This book was soooo much better than the movie. It's full of adventure and completely kept me on the edge of my seat (and I already knew how it ended). I love the characters of Lina and Doon and just kept rooting for them through each chapter and twist and turn the plot took.

I kept trying to imagine spending my life living underground totally dependent on a failing generator to keep me in the light. It's a pretty terrifying image, which only made me more anxious to see Lina and Doon succeed.

If you haven't read this, which I may be the last person in the world who hasn't, you should definitely pick it up. Borders has a new edition that has the first three books in one volume for like $13.99. I, of course, bought it and am looking forward to reading the rest of the series. So, see the movie, if you want to, but most certainly read the book. It's fantastic!!

9 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this novel when I read it a few years ago in middle school. It's a shame the movie is not as good. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the book! I've watched the movie and always wondered if it could compare anything to the book. And I didn't now it was a series; I'll definitely have to check it out. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book is waaaaaay better than the movie. I've read this aloud to my students a few times, and they always love it as much as me. I was very sad when I saw the movie (and annoyed by the big giant mole!). They could've done such a better job. As for the rest of the books. I liked them, but none came as close as how I felt about The City of Ember. I will warn you - The Prophet of Yondwood is a prequel and is barely connected to the rest of the series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to check this book out sometimes. It intrigues me in a weird way cos this is not my usual type of book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess I am now the last person in the world who hasn't read this! someday...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I havent read this yet! You arent the last one. ha. But I do have it on my TBR shelf, and I cant wait to read it now, your review made me want to read it sooner than I was planning on reading it! Awesome review! :)

    -Arielle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read "City of Ember", but I've heard great things!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, this book is awesome. I thought, like you, that the movie was a bit rushed. They could have filled it out a bit more.

    ReplyDelete