Sunday, September 13, 2009

Changes In Store For Disneyworld


So, this is completely not book-related, but as most of you probably know by now, I love Disney theme parks. In fact, my sister and I are already planning our Spring Break trip to Disneyworld. I saw this little news article online today and felt the need to share. I'm very excited about the happenings in one of my favorite parks. I just hope they don't get rid of any of my favorite rides in the process.

Florida's Disney World to get Fantasyland facelift

ORLANDO, Fla. – Disney executives are planning the largest expansion in the history of Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom in central Florida.

The development will nearly double the size of Fantasyland and include a new, lavish ride based on the Little Mermaid. Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Jay Rasulo made the announcement Saturday.

Analysts predict it will re-ignite travel to Orlando, which has lagged in the global recession.

Disney also plans to update Star Tours, the Star Wars-themed ride in Disney's Hollywood Studios. It will debut in 2011. The Fantasyland overhaul will be complete by 2013. Disney declined to say how much it will spend on the projects.

Disney's parks contribute about a third of the giant entertainment company's revenue.

8 comments:

  1. It's about time they changed Star Tours! It's been taking people on the same journey since the 1980s. (I wonder if they're going to fix up the California one as well...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really wish I lived nearer to Disneyworld, rather than all the way over here in England.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to Disneyworld for the first time ever next summer! I'm so excited! Eighteen years that excitement has been building up. It better be worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome, I'm a disney junkie as well

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's amazing. I've heard from some people down there (I live three hours north of Orlando) that they've bought land for a brand new park.

    Let me know when you're going since I go down there for spring break too =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Disney so I'm glad you posted this! I hope to go back to Disney World by then!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't realize there was another park in Florida. How long has it been there? I'm not it's not up to the standards of Uncle Walt's place in Anaheim.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In general, the face-lift is a good thing for Disneyland and of course for the Orlando travelling industry. but anyhow, like you, I hope they keep the old and good rides I so enjoyed as a child..

    ReplyDelete