Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Good Neighbors Book One: The Kin by Holly Black and Ted Naifeh


Here's the description of the book:

Rue Silver's mother has disappeared . . . and her father has been arrested, suspected of killing her. But it's not as straightforward as that. Because Rue is a faerie, like her mother was. And her father didn't kill her mother -- instead, he broke a promise to Rue's faerie king grandfather, which caused Rue's mother to be flung back to the faerie world. Now Rue must go to save her -- and must also defeat a dark faerie that threatens our very mortal world.


I've read some Holly Black before and I love her work, especially the Spiderwick Chronicles which she wrote with Tony DiTerlizzi. I also love the art of Ted Naifeh. I highly recommend the Courtney Crumrin series, they are good old-fashioned goth-tacular fun.


Needless to say, when I saw that these two powerhouses had joined forces, I knew this was one I would have to pick up. It took me awhile to get to it, but I'm definitely glad I did. The story is intriguing. I love the idea of fairies existing alongside humans. It makes me think of Charles De Lint's Newford series. The art is fantastic and truly captures the magic of the series. I like my fairies a little grittier with a darker edge to their magic and this story gives me just that.


I look forward to reading the rest of the series. Black never disappoints and she continues to create interesting worlds that I love to get lost in, at least for a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment