Wednesday, January 28, 2009

3 Willows by Ann Brashares


I have to admit I didn't read all of the Traveling Pants books. I read the first one and enjoyed it, but never felt the need to pick up the next one or three books in the series. I do like the movies made from the books, but once again they didn't encourage me to read on.


So, when I saw that she was taking the story in a new direction, I decided now was as a good a time as any to jump on board again. To tell the truth, the cover art really pulled me in, at least until I read the first page. After that, I didn't need the cover to pull me in.


From page one I was hooked. This was a great book. I really enjoyed the intertwined stories of Ama, Jo, and Polly. They were believable characters who were facing believable issues and challenges. I think it would be easy for any girl to relate to the idea of how friendships change from year to year. It reminded me of all of those girls I thought would be my friend forever, and yet stood by while we slowly drifted apart.


I like the fact that the girls of Traveling Pants were a part of this story as well. They were subtly and naturally weaved into the lives of these three new girls. I appreciate that Brashares was done with their original story and yet felt the need to explore their world further. 3 Willows is a very readable, fast moving story with a lot of heart. I highly recommend it to one and all. I can't wait to see where she takes this story in the future. I look forward to visiting these characters again.


And hey, maybe now I'll finally go back and finish the first series.

No comments:

Post a Comment