Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Line by Teri Hall (1 ARC Tour)


Release Date: March 4, 2010 from Dial

Source: 1 ARC Tour

Synopsis:

An invisible, uncrossable physical barrier encloses the Unified States. The Line is the part of the border that lopped off part of the country, dooming the inhabitants to an unknown fate when the enemy used a banned weapon. It’s said that bizarre creatures and superhumans live on the other side, in Away. Nobody except tough old Ms. Moore would ever live next to the Line.

Nobody but Rachel and her mother, who went to live there after Rachel’s dad died in the last war. It’s a safe, quiet life. Until Rachel finds a mysterious recorded message that can only have come from Away. The voice is asking for help.

Who sent the message? Why is her mother so protective? And to what lengths is Rachel willing to go in order to do what she thinks is right?


This is another amazing addition to my dystopia collection. Teri Hall has captured my attention and I am hooked. This was a great story. It's fast-paced and there's just enough mystery to keep you turning the pages well into the night.

Rachel's world is incredibly believable and at the same time very scary. I think that's what I love so much about dystopias. It's not completely out of the realm of possibility that we could live like this someday. It makes me think and it encourages me to change things.

The Property is a pretty dismal place, but not as dismal as the society that surrounds it. Rachel has been sheltered from a lot of what is really happening within The Line, but that's about to change. Seeing her wake up to reality was one of the most compelling parts of this story.

I can't wait for the sequel, Away. I don't know if there's a date for it yet, but I will be eagerly awaiting its arrival. This is a fantastic debut from a promising new voice in YA.

11 comments:

  1. Sounds very intriguing. I want to read this book! Thanks for your review, Carrie : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew it's a dystopian read! I'll totally check it out now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one looks so good! I am adding it to my library list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cant wait till I get this! :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So excited for this to be released. Awesome review!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like it'll give everyone something to read while we're waiting on Mockingjay and The Scorch Trials. Or maybe that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! I can't wait to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this book! The second in the series, Away, will be out in early 2011 - I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely loved this book. Like you, I was turning pages well into the night. Looking forward to more by Teri Hall!

    ReplyDelete