Thursday, February 12, 2009

Wake by Lisa McMann


I so should not have started this book at 11pm last night. I had just finished Evermore and this was the next one on my pile, so innocently enough I picked it up, thinking I would read for maybe thirty more minutes. Well, needless to say, two hours later, I had to force myself to go to sleep with just about fifty pages left to read. It was sheer torture.


I know that all the other YA bloggers out there raved about this book, so I knew I would at least like it. I loved it though. It grabbed my attention from page one and kept me reading, and reading....and reading.


Here's the description for those who don't know:


Not all dreams are sweet.


For seventeen-year-old Janie, getting sucked into other people's dreams is getting old. Especially the falling dreams, the naked-but-nobody-notices dreams, and the sex-crazed dreams. Janie's seen enough fantasy booty to last her a lifetime.

She can't tell anybody about what she does -- they'd never believe her, or worse, they'd think she's a freak. So Janie lives on the fringe, cursed with an ability she doesn't want and can't control.


Then she falls into a gruesome nightmare, one that chills her to the bone. For the first time, Janie is more than a witness to someone else's twisted psyche. She is a participant....


Janie and Cabel are great characters, who I couldn't help cheering for. They both face challenges and yet find the strength to go on. It's a great read and the start to a great series.


I'll be picking up Fade tomorrow at work and I'll have to force myself not to start it right away, after all, I do have homework. And Friday the 13th comes out this weekend, so I have things to do. I can't read all the time. Just most of the time.

6 comments:

  1. Okay, so set me straight: Wake is the first novel, and Fade is the sequel? I have to understand this so that I don't read them out of order!! But yes, I've heard wonderful things about the books and can't wait to get my hands on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started reading this one, but wasn't all that interested. I think I need to give it another shot though, because everyone has been loving it (and excited for the sequel!)
    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wake is the first book. Fade just came out. It's a great book. A really fast read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard great things about this book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this book as well, read it in one sitting. I just reviewed both Wake and Fade on my blog. If you loved Wake you wont be disappointed with Fade I thought it was even better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not only is this a page turner for the reader, but it only took seven days to write!

    ReplyDelete