Friday, February 6, 2009

The Green Glass Sea by Ellen Klages


I've read this book before, but since the sequel came out this fall, I decided to read it again. Also, I've chosen it as one of my reads for my children's lit class, so that works out great.


I enjoyed this book that first time around, and I have to say that I enjoyed it just as much if not more this time. It take place in Los Alamos, NM during WWII. Dewey and Suze are two girls who have nothing in common other than the fact that they are both stuck living on the Hill. Their parents are all scientists working on the top secret weapon that could end the war. Of course, the girls have no idea what their parents are really doing and their parents have no idea of the power of the weapon they are creating.


I love this time period. It makes me think of my grandparents and how they lived during the war. Dewey and Suze are likable yet flawed characters. They both have obstacles to overcome and when unforeseen circumstances bring them together, they have to learn to deal with each other as well.


Klages has created a wonderful look at a time and an event often ignored in children's and young adult literature. She inserts real-life scientists like Oppenheimer and Feynman into the story. These characters blend seamlessly into the tale of Dewey and Suze and the secret gadget.


There's a sequel as I said at the start of my post. It's called White Sands, Red Menace and it's next in my TBR pile, so expect a review of that soon. This is a really great book...check it out.

1 comment:

  1. OH cool. The books sounds interesting. And I love the equations on the cover. Even though I don't know what they mean/stand for, I love math and science come in second.. hehe.

    ReplyDelete