Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday (60)--The Ghost of Ashbury High by Jaclyn Moriarty


Release Date: June 1, 2010 from Arthur A. Levine Books

Synopsis:

This is the story of Amelia and Riley, bad kids from bad Brookfield High who have transferred to Ashbury High for their final year. They've been in love since they were fourteen, they go out dancing every night, and sleep through school all day. And Ashbury can't get enough of them.

Everyone's trying to get their attention; even teachers are dressing differently, trying to make their classes more interesting. Everyone wants to be cooler, tougher, funnier, hoping to be invited into their cool, self-contained world.

But they don't know that all Amelia can think about is her past -- an idyllic time before she ran away from home. Riley thinks he's losing her to the past, maybe even to a place further back in time. He turns to the students of Ashbury for help, and things get much, much worse.

In the tradition of the gothic novel, this is a story about ghosts, secrets, madness, passion, locked doors, femmes fatales, and that terrifying moment in the final year of high school when you realise that the future's come to get you.


I love Jaclyn Moriarty. Her books are fantastic, so fantastic that I had my friend from Australia bring me a copy of one of her books not available stateside. She's just that good. So, needless to say, I am anxiously awaiting this one.

11 comments:

  1. That sounds interesting! I'd never heard of Jaclyn Moriarty - now I'm going to have to go look her up.

    Shelagh @ KinderScares

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one does sound very interesting! I featured it on my Friday Finds this past week, can't wait to get my hands on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a different sort of premise. Sounds intriguing. Nice pick!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes me wonder what is in Amelia's past that has taken hold of her so. Interesting premise, great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh, this is published as Dreaming of Amelia over here! I think I prefer your US cover :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read anything by Jaclyn Moriarty before but this book sounds great! I have it on my Goodreads wishlist.

    I've chosen a book called The Mermaid’s Mirror this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad I stumbled across your blog. I also love YA fiction and I'm currently in the process of trying to get representation for a grade school novel. Stop by my blogs if you have a chance.

    www.betweenthelines-kel.com
    http://awritersroad.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore Jaclyn Moriarty so I'll definitely be reading this, thanks for the review! xxx P.S Is it possible the UK release has a different title as I saw a new JM book in UK store WHSmiths yesterday and it was named something completely different...?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, I'm excited about this one. Jaclyn Moriarty's books are always fun reads.

    lifeinburntorange.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hah. Amazing read; Jaclyn Moriarty is a very neat writer.

    ReplyDelete