Monday, November 30, 2009

Looking Like Me by Walter Dean Myers, Illustrated by Christopher Myers


Release Date: Available Now from EgmontUSA

Source: From Publisher

Synopsis:

When you look in a mirror, who do you see?

A boy? A girl?
A son? A daughter?
A runner? A dancer?

Whoever and whatever you see–
just put out your fist and give yourself an "I am" BAM!

This jumping, jazzy, joyful picture book by the award-winning team of Walter Dean and Christoper Myers celebrates every child, and every thing that child can be.


This is a fantastic picture book. The illustrations are vivid and the verse is moving and lyrical. I also love the message that you can be anything you put your mind to.

My favorite quote from the book is:

MY MOM CALLS ME A DREAMER,
A SILVER-RAYED MOONBEAMER,
SPREADING FANTASIES ACROSS
THE HARLEM SKY.
I DREAM OF SECRET PLACES,
PLAID CLOUDS AND HIDDEN FACES,
BLACK KNIGHTS AND MAIDS
WHO SWOON AND SIGH.



Isn't that amazing? I love the imagery and each illustration captures the verse beautifully. Walter Dean Myers can apparently do no wrong. I've been reading his books since I picked up Fallen Angels at the library, oh about 20 years ago. He's an amazing talent and his son is following in his footsteps.

If you're looking for a really moving and beautiful picture book, maybe as a Christmas gift, then I highly recommend you take a look at this one. It'll capture your heart and your mind.

2 comments:

  1. Even from the cover this book looks like it's going to be beautiful!I love the quite you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it whenever people get together and share views.
    Great blog, continue the good work!

    my web page: diets that work fast

    ReplyDelete