Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Candor by Pam Bachorz--1 ARC Tour


Release Date: Available Now from EgmontUSA

Source: 1 ARC Tour

Synopsis:

In the model community of Candor, Florida, every teen wants to be like Oscar Banks. The son of the town's founder, Oscar earns straight As, is student-body president, and is in demand for every club and cause.
But Oscar has a secret. He knows that parents bring their teens to Candor to make them respectful, compliant–perfect–through subliminal Messages that carefully correct and control their behavior. And Oscar' s built a business sabotaging his father's scheme with Messages of his own, getting his clients out before they're turned. After all, who would ever suspect the perfect Oscar Banks?
Then he meets Nia, the girl he can't stand to see changed. Saving Nia means losing her forever. Keeping her in Candor, Oscar risks exposure . . . and more.


This book is amazing!! I love the idea of the story. I think it's completely likely that parents would choose to move into a community where there child's every thought is controlled. This is one of those stories that is way too close to coming true.

Oscar is a wonderful character, who is full of flaws. At times, I wasn't sure whether I was on his side or not, but it's his flaws that make him so believable and readable. Nia is fantastic as well, in fact, all of the characters really captured my imagination. Bachorz, while ensuring that every teens personality is eerily similar, still allowed enough of their former personalities to shine through. It was these glimpes of the real Sherman, Nia, and Mandi that made me like them so much.

What I like even more is that this book was inspired by time Bachorz spent living in Celebration, Florida AKA the town that Disney built. I love Disney probably much more than the average person, but the idea of Celebration is incredibly creepy. I think I would feel much the same walking its streets as I would walking the streets of Candor.

I cannot wait to see what Bachorz writes next. I would love to see a return to Candor, because I believe there's so much more story to tell. We haven't heard the last of Oscar and Nia.....at least I hope we haven't.

1 comment:

  1. Nice review, this sounds brilliant! I can't wait to get around to it!

    ReplyDelete