Monday, June 27, 2011
Guest Blog with Gary Ghislain, Author of How I Stole Johnny Depp's Alien Girlfriend
I am pleased to welcome the author Gary Ghislain today. Take it away Gary:
Ah, Paris… I had quite a few good reasons to set my story there:
1. I was born in Paris, in the 16th district, the 30th of June, just in time for the summer. I go there very often, nearly once per month. France is so small. You take a train in the French Riviera in the morning, you watch the beautiful French landscape whoosh by for 5 hours while eating croissants, and pouf, you land in Paris just in time for aperitif and lunch.
2. It’s the capital of love. It’s just like this. London is for business. New York is for Art. Paris is for the kiss. It’s nearly impossible to go to Paris and not fall in love. It’s like a local curse. It must be something in the water (or the red wine). It’s our easy-going lifestyle. Our five hours lunch breaks. The music everywhere. Our romantic little cafés. The surrounding beauty of the cityscape. The French lovers kissing in the parks. Or is it just that the Parisian favorite sport is flirting? I don’t know. If I was an E.T. willing to zap Earthlings and destroy the world, I would certainly start with L.A. or New York. But if I was an Alien looking for the perfect partner to French kiss and zoom back to my home planet, I’d start with Paris.
3. This one is probably the most important factor in choosing Paris for my story: Johnny Depp lives there since 1998. Can you imagine? A spacegirl lands in Paris AND she’s looking for Johnny. How lucky is that!?
4. Paris is full of mysterious locations and scary little places. You could easily hide an alien sub-civilization there without anyone noticing. Take the little chapel in Le Marais where I located the Zookian door, the stargate Zelda uses to go back and forth from Vahalal, her home planet. There are plenty of places like that in Paris. There were so many secret societies that no longer exist. So many strange buildings devoted to their cults. They left behind all those surreal sites that fit perfectly in my zany science fiction stories.
5. I love Paris. I adore it. I even like Parisians, even thought everyone else in France sort of hate them. It’s a pity with the pollution, the stress and the largely over priced cup of coffee. But… nothing is perfect! And love is blind and probably makes you immune to toxic fumes.
Thank you so much for stopping by! How I Stole Johnny Depp's Aliend Girlfriend is now available in bookstores everywhere.