Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Ghostgirl by Tonya Hurley


Release Date: Available Now!!!

Synopsis:

Now I lay me down to sleep,

I pray the Lord my soul to keep.

And if I should die before I awake,

I pray the popular attend my wake.

Charlotte Usher feels practically invisible at school, and then one day she really is invisible. Even worse: she's dead. And all because she choked on a gummy bear. But being dead doesn't stop Charlotte from wanting to be popular; it just makes her more creative about achieving her goal.

If you thought high school was a matter of life or death, wait till you see just how true that is. In this satirical, yet heartfelt novel, Hurley explores the invisibility we all feel at some times and the lengths we'll go to be seen.


I was sooo glad when I received this in the mail. I'd been meaning to read it for awhile and what better excuse to catch up than a sequel. First of all, the look of the book is amazing. It has an incredible innovative design, which immediately catches your eye. And throughout the book their are wonderful illustrations at each chapters' opening.

Illustrations alone do not make a great book though. Luckily, what's inside the awesome design is just as good as what's outside. I loved this book. It was funny, creative, and full of completely crazy and yet compelling characters. Charlotte is fantastic although at times I found myself rolling my eyes at her obsession with being part of the "in" crowd. She's pretty clueless and yet somehow she seems to stumble in all the right directions.

Scarlet is my favorite character though. She's tough, fearless, and full of amazing comebacks of the kind I could only hope to come up with. Charlotte and Scarlet complement each other so well that their stories blend together seamlessly.

I just really enjoyed reading this book. From the Dead Ed kids to the Wendys, Tonya Hurley kept me laughing and kept me turning the pages long into the night. Usually when I'm reading a series, I don't immediately pick up the second book, but with this one, I just couldn't resist. I didn't think twice before making Ghostgirl: Homecoming my next read, so expect a review of that one soon.

I can't wait to see what Charlotte and Scarlet do next. This book was truly a joy to read. And by the way, be sure to check out the website that started it all.

5 comments:

  1. I thought this one was pretty neat too. Glad you enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review! I have this book on my shelf, and it looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the design of this one too. And Scarlet was my favorite character!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh I just read someone elses review of this. I enjoyed this book too and glad you did.
    BTW, I'm doing a book give away on my site and just wanted to let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scarlet was my favorite too! Loved her spunk.

    ReplyDelete