Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Molly Fyde and the Parsona Rescue by Hugh Howey


Release Date: Available Now from NorLights Press

Source: From author.

Synopsis:

Molly gets kicked out of the Naval Academy and loses the only two things that truly matter: flying in space and her training partner, Cole. A dull future awaits, until her father's old starship-missing for a decade-turns up halfway across the galaxy. Its retrieval launches Molly and Cole on the adventure of a lifetime, one that will have lasting consequences for themselves and billions of others. The simple quest to reconnect with her past ends up forging a new future. And the forgotten family she hoped to uncover becomes one she never foresaw: a band of alien misfits and runaways. Together, they form a new family-the crew of the starship Parsona.

So I have to admit, I've never been a huge Sci-Fi fan. I mean I love Sci-Fi movies, but with books, it has to fall into some pretty specific categories for me to get on board, namely, Dystopias and Post-Apocalyptic fiction. Molly Fyde is neither of these, so although the premise sounded interesting, I picked it up with some trepidation.

I reallllly loved this book!! By chapter three I was hooked and couldn't wait to find out what Molly and Cole would do next. It's a wonderful adventure story and you might think I'm crazy, but parts of it (maybe the overall feel) made me think of the Wizard of Oz. I know, crazy, but I recently watched Oz again and I definitely see some Oz in Molly Fyde.

Bear with me, Molly and Cole end up far away from home and as they journey to get home, they meet and befriend some very interesting characters along the way. Hmmm? See? Well, anyway, I love the Wizard of Oz, so that it a very high complement coming from me.

It also was reminiscent of the Hungry City Chronicles by Philip Reeve and also a little bit of Firefly, too. All of these things add up to one exciting, fun, and heart-warming read. I am so glad that this is going to be a trilogy, because I cannot wait for book number two, which I believe is due in January or February.

Molly is an amazing kick ass character who's fearless and yet not afraid to admit her faults at the same time. She feels deeply which as a reader made me feel for her. I loved getting inside her mind and tooling around galaxies far and wide for awhile.

Hey....maybe I am a Sci-Fi fan at heart.

5 comments:

  1. *blushing*

    Thanks for the glowing review, Carrie! I'll do my best to keep your wait for the next book as brief as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing review of one amazing book. glad you enjoyed it and love the throw back to OZ as that is one of my top favs as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superb review. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I've never really been a sci-fi fan myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the sound of this one - never heard of it before!

    ReplyDelete