Monday, May 3, 2010

I So Don't Do Makeup by Barrie Summy


Release Date: May 11, 2010 from Delacorte Books for Young Readers

Source: From Publicist

Synopsis:

What's better than a sleepover? A sleepover with makeovers! Sherry and her friends have an awesome time with eye shadow, glitter, and more hair products than a salon. But when the girls wake up the next morning with serious skin issues, Sherry is freaked. Someone must have tampered with her makeup!

It turns out that the mall's cosmetics kiosk has had lots of products returned by upset customers. Sherry is determined to get to the bottom of things. After all, she's a bit of a crime-solving celebrity (well, at least in the spirit world). Ghost academies around the world are impressed by Sherry's and her ghost mom's skills.

And if anyone can solve a mystery involving mascara, it's Sherry Holmes Baldwin.

This third mystery about fast-thinking sleuth Sherry Holmes Baldwin is perfect for tweens and teens who love investigating with heroines they can relate to.


This was my first Summy read and it was delightful. I loved every minute of this book. It's a wonderful mystery and yet it's a fun, fast read at the same time. Sherry is fantabulous and her friends only add to the fun. Th relationship between Sherry and her friends rings so true. I can picture myself at that age having some of the same conversations. It took me back, for sure.

Then there's the supernatural element. It's presented really well and Summy creates an incredible world where it's not so unusual to fight crime with your mom, who just so happens to be a ghost. As if the politics of school aren't bad enough, Sherry must also deal with the politics of the ghost world. Crazy indeed!

I have the other two books in this series and I will most definitely be adding them to my ever-growing summer reading pile. This book was just such a treat. I read it in one day and it made me very happy. It's just a really good feel-good read. I can't recommend this one highly enough. I'll be adding them to my school's shelves come Fall and I know my girls will just eat them up.

5 comments:

  1. This sounds adorable, and I absolutely LOVE the title!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it does sound like a fun read and one that most girls would enjoy. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book sounds great but not my type of read. Anyway, I think you pasted the synopsis twice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for this great review! I linked to it. :)

    ReplyDelete