Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Mia the Magnificent by Eileen Boggess


Release Date: Available Now from Bancroft Press

Source: From Publisher

Synopsis:

After one summer at the Little Tykes Theatre, Mia Fullerton is meek no more, but that doesn t make her life any easier not in her sophomore year at St. Hilary's, when her best friend Lisa forces her into a dangerously big part in The Music Man. Not when her ex-boyfriend, Tim, is teaching her little brother Chris to treat women like objects. And not when she learns to drive with serious repercussions. Who is Mia? Is she an independent girl like Zoë, her acerbic goth friend from Little Tykes? She d like to be that s why she's volunteering to be onstage for the first time, in a show populated by her first ex and childhood crush Jake, her arch-nemesis Cassie, and new girl in town Alyssa. That s why it's so important she overcome the bizarre driving instruction of St. Hilary's janitor Mr. Corrigan to earn her driver s license, and therefore her freedom. Or is she the girl who misses Tim, even after the way he betrayed her? Tim is smart, funny, and likeable in a distinctly obnoxious way, and he s determined to win Mia back even if he has a funny way of doing so, dating both Cassie and Alyssa at the same time, behind both their backs. Can Mia forgive Tim? Should she instead choose Eric, Zoe's cousin, a nicer and more respectful choice in every way? Or would either choice defeat her goals of independence? And when the worst-case scenarios rear their heads when Mia is forced into the lead in The Music Man, when her first night out on the road goes horribly, when Chris appears headed entirely to the dark side does Mia on her own have what it takes to set things right? Between dog costumes and stage costumes, big embarrassments and bigger chickens, bad singing and worse crashes, and everything else that could possibly go wrong, Mia the Magnificent is a hilarious, clever, and endlessly fun novel, and the best installment yet of the Mia Fullerton series.

This book was really adorable. I wasn't sure what to expect when it was offered to me for review, but I really enjoyed it. I read it when my grandmother was in the hospital and it was the perfect dose of cute and funny to keep me going when I wasn't too great. Sometimes you just need a laugh to keep you going and Mia provided that much needed humor.

She's a great character. The dialogue is quick and witty and yet believable. Mia felt like a real person, which made her so incredibly likeable. I found myself laughing out loud quite a few times.

This is a great series and I'd recommend it to just about anyone. I think I was assuming it would be just for MG readers, but I think any age would enjoy Mia and her adventures or misadventures in most cases. I'm going to go back and read the first couple books in the series, but you could totally jump into this one and know exactly what's happening.

Mia is indeed magnificent!!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds adorable! Off to add it to my wishlist! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed the first book in this series. It was such a fun read :)

    ReplyDelete