Monday, January 26, 2009

The Fairies of Nutfolk Wood


I'm currently taking a children's lit class as part of my Master's program. One of the books I was assigned was The Fairies of Nutfolk Wood by Barb Bentler Ullman. Here in Missouri, our association of school librarians, has an award named the Mark Twain award. This is one of the nominees for 2008-2009. Here's a little bit about the book.

After a divorce, Willa and her mother move to the town of Plunkit, looking for a new home and a fresh start. They buy a little trailer there and work to fix it up all the while becoming acquainted with the townspeople and especially with their elderly neighbor Hazel.

While Willa’s mother works, Willa spends her summer days with Hazel helping her perform chores around the house and listening to her fascinating stories about a village of tiny people who live in the forest surrounding Plunkit. When Willa starts to witness some strange happenings with her own two eyes, she begins to wonder if Hazel’s stories are just that, stories, or if there is some truth to the tales of magic in the woods.

I really enjoyed this book. It had a very magical feel to it, while still being set in the “real” world. So often, fantasies are set in faraway lands of castles and dragons, so I found it refreshing to find one set in small town America. It's very well written and grabbed me from the get go. I look forward to reading Ullman's future works.

4 comments:

  1. I actually prefer fantasies set in the "real" world. I'll put this on my wishlist, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for checking our my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie, thanks for reviewing my book. I found out recently that my sequel will come out next winter. Yeah! *Barb Ullman

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to read the sequel. I love your characters.

    ReplyDelete